Thursday, 22 June 2017

The hottest June night since 1976!


It's a busy week music wise, band practice Thursday and gigs Saturday and Sunday, so I was tempted to give Jason's music night a miss.
To say it was a hot evening was an understatement; the BBC reported the highest June temperatures since nineteen seventy six, so I was pleasantly surprised by the turn out for Jason's music night.

When I arrived at The Victory Club only Jason and Rachael were present, and because they were warming up (as if it wasn't hot enough already) I got to hear them twice.

I was all on my own this evening, no #1 roadie and no MDF band mates, so I took advantage to sing a couple of songs from the MDF repertoire, but in my own style, and at my own speed, and gave the first performance of a new song. 



Other regulars in attendance included Gordon, Andy and Frank, who for technical reasons, was minus his electric axe; and Kate was back with her ukulele, which probably qualifies her as a regular now. Kate sang Eurasia's, 'A Little Respect' and then sang it again at the end of the evening, with Jason providing accompaniment. She also made a first attempt at 'Here Comes The Sun', but wasn't happy with it, describing the intro as quite tricky and in need of practice. Just to prove the point, she played it, and nailed it, demonstrating conclusively the power of paradoxical advertising.



There were a few Beatles or Beatlish songs, as is often the way in Napton. Gordon gave us a few of his favourites and Andy made a fine go of a song about a woman who went to The Isle of Wight.
Frank gave a medley of well known tunes including Danny Boy

Despite the heat it was an enjoyable evening, and Barry did a roaring trade in shandy. For me, the highlight of this evening's performances had to be Jason and Harriet singing Johnny Cash and June Carter's 'Jackson'.









No comments:

Post a Comment